3.25.2009

Ginger has a death wish

Ginger, Ginger, Ginger.  Where to begin.  Hmm.  Ginger has an inferiority complex.  She loves to challenge other dogs, especially those who are smaller.  She likes to be the boss.  We have struggled with her from the beginning.  At least most of the time she acknowledges us as the Alpha dogs or pack leaders.  Since the move Ginger has begun to go a little Power crazy.  The first day here she not only figured out how to open the gate and escape but, she attacked  our new neighbors much smaller dog.  Nothing says welcome to the neighborhood quite like your neighbor telling you your dog attacked theirs while you were out.  Not only were we embarrassed but we felt extremely guilty.  Ginger has since then become infamous in our new town. To give you an example just today while taking Emma into her first day of school a new classmate came up to Emma and said, "I know you.  You have a big dog that attacked my friends dog."  Boy was Emma ever surprised.  Not to mention Emma's mom.  Then yesterday the kids and I decided to go for a short bike ride.  We thought it would be a good idea to take Ginger with us.  Not only is she power crazy but she also has A LOT of energy.  While running your dog is not recommended for all dogs, in Ginger's case it is almost a necessity.  It wasn't the most fun I have ever had.  Not only did I have 3 kids on bikes, in a subdivision that has no sidewalks, but I also had a dog.  Every time Ginger saw another dog she decided to try to take off after it.  Never fear I was smart enough to stop everyone and wait until the dog left or was lead away before starting back on our way.  At one corner I was not so lucky.  Ginger pulled me off of the bike and started to drag me across the street before I was able to get the leash released from my wrist.  Now I had Ginger trying to dominate this little Yorkie in the middle of the street while Emma is crying off to the side and the poor woman, who's Yorkie Ginger was trying to eat, screaming at her dog.  After pulling Ginger off and making it home I was pissed!    I was so ready to kill her or at least give her to the pound.  But none of that compares with what happened today.  Today, I had finally decided to block the sweater I finished on the trip here.  The kids were at school.  John was at work.  It was perfect.  I vacuumed the rug. I laid out the sweater and after measuring and remeasuring, pinned the sweater to the rug to keep it in shape while it dried.  My first clue should have been that Ginger was very interested in what I was doing.  But NO! I am clueless.  I blocked off the area where the sweater was so no one would be able to disturb my  master piece as it was drying.  It stayed perfectly blocked for about 8 hours before I heard Ginger wrestling with something.  You guessed it my sweater!!  Pins were everywhere.  The sweater was covered in dog hair.   And Ginger sat there with my newly finished sweater hanging from her mouth.  I consider myself pretty forgiving, but she had just reached my tolerance level.  Out she went.  I didn't even feel guilty that it was raining.  No one but no one messes with my knitting.  Now I have a slightly damp wool sweater which already smelled like wet sheep, but now also smells like wet dog and is covered in dog hair.  I am not a happy person.

No comments: