1.10.2010

Gravity

Lying in bed one night I heard the loudest crash. It hit just as I was starting to drift off to sleep. I was startled awake. For a moment I was unsure if I had dreamed it. I stumbled out of bed to investigate. I walked out into the hall and looked around. Nothing seemed out of place, all the messes were just as we had left them. I was a little relieved to notice Ginger at the top of the stairs starring down at me. Apparently, she had heard it too. Okay, so it was real. The night progressed without further incident.

The next day I heard another crash. I yelled up stairs to the kids. "WHAT are you doing?!" Imagine my surprise when the kids were not upstairs but in the kitchen. "What was that crash?" I demanded. Well, they were just as baffled as I was. All 4 of us crept to the bottom of the stairs to notice Ginger once again standing at the top of the stairs starring back. Hmmm?

Ginger and I spend a lot of time together when the kids are at school. We go for walks and pal around the house together. It is not unusual to have her follow me around the house. Most days she is happy just to "BE". Occasionally she gets annoyed when I move around a lot. But, she is loyal and reluctantly will pick up her bone or favorite chew-toy of the day and follow me when I move to the next room. Such was the case on Friday. She happily followed me from room to room and up and down the stairs for most of the morning. By early afternoon it was obvious she was annoyed with the uneventfulness of the day. She had brought me every slobbery toy she could find and placed it ever so cautiously in my lap. Lucky me. We played a few games, but I just wasn't the good time she was looking for. As I descended the stairs, for what had to have been the 100th time that day, I heard the crash. I barely had time to side-step and miss the tumbling rawhide as it whizzed by my kneecaps. Ginger, much like your average 10 month old has discovered gravity. It appears that she has tired of carrying her toys or rawhide down the stairs and now prefers just to drop them and watch them bounce down all 12 steps. Did I mention they are wooden steps? All the while the toys roll down the stairs she stands at the top, head slightly cocked to the side and watches them. Now daily we listen to the BANG, CLANG, TUMBLE and THUMP of Gingers toys as they bounce down into the great room. All the while she sits peacefully at the top watching.

No comments: