2.19.2013

Blue

Today is a rainy, cold and gray day here.  To make matters worse my circuit breaker is starting to smell of rotten fish.  Odd, yes.  The last time this happened John was able to replace the burning and melted breaker.  This time he is not in a position to do so.  For now the furnace is off,  the water heater is off and the washer and dryer are off until the electrician can come make repairs.  Not only that but all of the outlets in my sewing room are also off.

What I would like most to do is to quilt.  Maybe first shower, then quilt.  Okay. Maybe first shower, then get warm and then quilt.  Regardless I am sitting here waiting for the repairman to show up.

As I was sitting here I thought of a story I wanted to share...

Recently my Daughter has taken to dying her hair.  Two small strips on either side of her head.  For a time they were hot pink and now they are blue.  A very pretty dark cobalt blue.  This is not a color that everyone can pull off, but on her it works.  I have said it before, but I still marvel at her self confidence. She could care less what others think of her blue hair, she loves it and that is all that matters.   Her friends, classmates and acquaintances ask her often, "Why would you want to do that?"  "What were you thinking?"  Her answers vary but basically tells them, "Because I like it."  Short sweet and to the point.  She likes it and what others think is of little consequence.

Driving somewhere the other day, she was commenting on how much she enjoys changing the color of her hair.  She continued on saying, "My friends cannot believe you let me color my hair!  They all comment that their mom would NEVER let them color their hair.  When they ask me, 'Why did your mom let you do that?'  I say, 'Because she is fun!"  (okay, my heart swelled when I heard this.)  Then she turned to me and asked, "Why don't you care if I color my hair?"  I went on to explain that it is only hair, it isn't even her entire head just a few strands.  I continued on with my soliloquy making comments about picking your battles, life being about choices and living with them, and something about gaining independence. I was certain at this point I had completely lost her, as she seemed more interested in examining herself in the mirror,  I ended quickly with, "Just tell your friends your Mom is letting you express your individuality."   She pulled her gaze away from the mirror and said, "Ah, Yeah.  I think I'll just stick with, "My Mom is fun."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love this....Keep being a fun mom it will drive the other mom's crazy Aunt Jo