10.12.2010

Camping in the Upcountry

We now interrupt our regularly scheduled quilt blog for a little R&R.
Lake Keowee

 After a week or possibly two of quilt craziness and jet-laggedness, John and I decided it was time for a little break.  We took full advantage of the travel soccer schedule and an extended weekend from school to drive up to the 'Upcountry' in South Carolina for a camping trip.  Prior to leaving, when maybe I was supposed to be packing,  John caught me sneaking in a little extra quilting time.  Exasperated John exclaimed, "If I let you finish this last quilt will you promise to relax this weekend?"  I agreed.  Mostly, I agreed  just to get him out of my way, so I could finish my last binding. However,  it wasn't  long until I was able to uphold my part of the bargain.   Once the car was packed, the kids loaded and we were driving, I crashed.  I slept the entire 2 1/2 hour car ride up and still managed to get to bed by 9:30 that night.  Can you say sleep deprived?  Saturday morning John handed me a cup of coffee and said, "Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I wanted you to relax, not become comatose."  All joking aside I did relax.
Soccer on the Mountain

We took in 2 soccer games on Saturday, lost both, unfortunately.  Took the short break in between games to run Mark to Urgent Care. No family trip would be complete without one. What happened? Well, I'll tell you,  it goes a little something like this....

Driving Trail

The boys could not resist a short and bloody game of "Dodge Stick" during lunch.  What is Dodge Stick you ask?  Funny, I didn't know what it was either until this weekend.   Apparently, when you don't have a Ball to play with you can, in the mind of a 10 and 13 year old boy, use a stick to throw at your brother.  He then has to try to 'dodge' it.  Mark while successful at dodging the stick Jack threw at him, was unsuccessful at dodging the rebounding stick as it ricocheted off the near by tree.  Said stick impaled Marks upper lip.  Thus leading to a short trip to the Urgent care for some sterri-strips and superglue.  Fortunately this was our only medical emergency.

Falls

We spent our evenings roasting smores and joking around the campfire.  Sunday we went off exploring Lake Keowee Park.  We hiked up to Jump-Off Lookout, and assured the boy's there would be NO jumping off.  We enjoyed the coolness of the season, the start of the fall colors and the fact that we had no child to carry on the trail.  We also hiked up to the falls and enjoyed the view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  It was wonderful.

No comments: