8.07.2009

A Tragedy

Jack was introduced to the Musical West Side Story this past school year and since has been quite interested in learning about it. He had told me how his music teacher had explained that West Side Story had been an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. He new little of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet so we discussed it at various times over the course of the summer and it's parallel with West Side Story. This was quite a challenge for mommy, since I last read Romeo and Juliet in Freshman English with Ms. Wade. Truth be known, I was never a big Shakespeare fan, therefore I really didn't pay much attention at the time. He was ecstatic when we found the original sound track at Target and purchased it with his own money. We have listened to it more times than I can count, and he constantly is quoting lines from the songs. (Officer Krupke being his favorite). After watching Jack look for the movie at every store we went into I finally decided to see if the library had it. While our branch didn't not have it, it was in the system. We put it on reserve and waited. Well, after waiting 5 excruciating days we were notified that the movie was waiting for us at the library. Jack was practically bouncing out of the car on the drive to the library. His enthusiasm entirely too much for his brother to bare, It is after all, "just a stupid movie" To which Jack replied, "My sister wears a mustache, My brother wears a dress. Goodness, Gracious, That's why I'm a mess!"
Immediately after getting home Jack had to watch the movie. He convinced Emma and Mark to watch along. Mark promptly fell asleep before the introduction was over. Emma lasted until "America" was over and then said, "this is boring." Jack however watched it over and over and over and over. I know the movie is long but I was surprised when he was still watching it 4 hours later! So I asked him "Jack, How many times have you watched it?" Well, I got the list of how many times he had played each song and then he said. "Mom, I just want to know something."
"OK, what is it?" I asked
" I have watched the end over and over and I cannot figure out if that is it?" he asked.
"Is what it?" I inquired.
"The End. That is it? They just kill Tony and it is over? That is just stupid. Why? We don't know what happens after that." he said disgruntled.
"It's a Tragedy Jack. That is how they end." I stated.
"No kidding it's a tragedy. It could have been so much better with a different ending!"

No comments: