7.11.2014

Cornhole Bags

You didn't think I would make a Cornhole game and Not make handmade corn hole bags, now did you?  Of course not.

Yes, I made corn hole bags and I will show you just how it did it.

You will need approximately 1/4 yard of HEAVY weight Duck Cloth that is 60" wide in two colors.  If your Duck cloth is only 42 inches wide you will need 1/3 of a yard.

(Let me emphasize HEAVY weight. I made the first ones, these cute bags in the photos here, out of mid-weight duck cloth.  It took all of 10 throws before the seams ripped and corn flew everywhere.  Great if you are a squirrel or a bird.  Not so good for playing the game.  After reinforcing the seams countless times.  The fabric actually started to shred.  Not good.  Not good at all.)

Cut 8 -- 7"X7" squares out of each of the two colors.

Matching right sides of 2 same color pieces together. pin.  And sew around bag leaving a 4 inch opening on one side for turning and inserting the feed corn. Then Sew a second time, right next to the stitches you just sewed.  If you have a serger, or access to a serger you could easily serge around the edges.  Once you have sewed twice around the bag.  Clip corners and turn right side out through opening.

Use a knitting needle or the eraser end of a pencil to help turn corners.  Once bags are turned.  Fill with desired corn.  I turned this over to my DH and Daughter because they are more, anal  technical about the process.  There are certain weights, measurements for the "official" corn hole bags. This however does not interest me one iota. I sew.  That's what I do.  I am sure you can find the exact weight with googles help.

Once they are filled pin opening closed.  I found using 2 pins to secure the opening closed worked great.  Then I used 2 additional pins, running horizontal to hold the corn in place for sewing.  Sewing Machines do not like sewing over feed corn.  Trust me. Don't even go there.

Sew opening closed with a top stitch.  For the first set of bags I stitched the openings closed the first time with one seam.  Then reinforced the seams with 2 additional seams around the entire outside edge.  The second set the canvas was thick enough that this step was unnecessary. 
That's all there is, you are Ready to Play

No comments: