3.13.2014

Sorting Fabric

This Monday marked the End of my Color Class.  Having taken classes in art and design in the past this class was a great refresher.  It was also a chance for me to examine my fabric from a new perspective.  I learned a few new ways to look at color in terms of quilting and designing with fabric.  The class gave me a new and fresh look at what others see when they look at and select fabrics. It enabled me to look at color choices through a different set of guidelines.  A very interesting thing indeed!

I learned new things about what I like, what I don't like and fabrics I tend to lean towards.  I learned that my choice of fabric has grown and changed significantly since I started quilting 12 years ago. Believe it or not I still have some fabric remnants from that time period.  While some of these stashed fabrics I still use and love,  others I most definitely do NOT.


Today in an attempt to re-organize my stash I went through and grouped all of my fabric yardage by color.  (I have not yet attempted to organize all of the scraps. perhaps next? or not.) I was not at all surprised to find that I have an entire bin of Green and Blue fabric.  Blue is after all my favorite color.  I have been gravitating lately towards the brighter colors of yellow, orange and a few bright pinks, so I have a fair amount of those colors. What surprised me the most was the amount of colors that I don't have.  I have very few purples or violets, very few tans, beige or light browns and no cream colors at all.  I seriously need to stock up!


 Then I went through and piled up all the fabric that I have been toting around with me for 12 years that I no longer love, like or would even consider using (no not even as a backing) While it hurts just a little to let go of some of the old fabrics, it is time it found a new home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps you should have a fabric swap with someone that has also sorted their fabric. The fabrics you no longer "like" may be something "new and refreshing" for someone else and vise versa. Just a suggestion.....

Unknown said...

Good Idea Susan, I have thought of it just haven't gotten around to actually organizing it.