3.31.2014

Bits and Pieces

Last week was a flurry of activity.  It appeared to me as though I wasn't getting much sewing done. I grabbed projects here and there, worked on what I could throughout out the week.  When I looked at the bits and pieces of my work individually it didn't seems as though much was getting accomplished.  Some weeks that's how it goes.

The RBHS Varsity Soccer Jackets consumed the majority of my time.  It wasn't a tough project, not necessarily easy and not particularly fun.  It was just, well time consuming. 22 Men's Soccer Jackets in which I heat fused pre-embroidered letters, then machine stitched the letters in place.
Twenty-Two!
Seriously, What was I thinking?
The heap of Jackets my son brought me was, to say the least, daunting.  When I agreed to to the project I anticipated 30 minutes per jacket, and I wasn't far off.  Roughly 11 hours of sewing letters on gets mighty repetitive, translation....boring.  But they are all finished and the boys were able to wear them all as a team on Friday nights game.  It is really a pleasure to see them all so happy.  The fact that they were all so thankful made the joy that much greater.
pre-embroidered Jackets
stack of completed Jackets

I broke up the monotony of "Great Soccer Jacket Project" with sewing up a couple of blocks for a baby quilt.   I am using a pattern by  Jessica Kelly of Sewcraftyjess.blogspot.com called Simply Woven.
I have finished about 7 blocks. Okay 10 according to the picture below.


 I am shooting for 15 blocks to make a quilt 48" X 48".  My initial plan was to use up the pink, blue and purple jelly roll strips I purchased eons ago.  (Still working on cleaning out)  I wanted to make each strip in the simply woven one of the colors.  After my initial 4 blocks I decided the blocks needed a little mixing.  I interchanged many of the colors to try to get a more random pattern. I'll let you know if it works.

I also spent quite a bit of time last week doing a little more hand embroider.  I found this cute pattern... somewhere.  I believe it was in Generation Q Magazines Winter issue.  It is intended to be the center focal point of a sewing machine cover.  I haven't decided what to do with it yet.  I am just enjoying the slow pace of hand stitching.


And last but not least I finally stitched on the binding for This Animal Jungle quilt I made and quilted last March.  A year ago.  eek!

Initially it didn't feel like last week accomplished much.  When I list them all here and I begin to see them all add up and it feels good to know that so much was finished up, even if it was just in bits and pieces.
Post a Comment