2.26.2014

Hexie-Flowers Quilt

Faithful readers may remember back last summer when I started (obsessively) piecing hexies together.  You can read about it here. At the time I wash't quite sure where I was headed with the project.  Thoughts and possibilities  of what to make with the hexies flew in and out of my mind on a daily basis.  My pintrest board is full to bursting with Hexie ideas.  Somehow none of the ideas that flitted through my mind stuck.  Until now.

I purchased a Moda Honey Comb pack from Craftsy in Scrumptious by Bonnie and Camille. And Scrumptious it is!  All the beautiful pastel florals and prints.  It all called to me to be made into a beautiful baby quilt for my soon to be niece.

I drew up a couple of preliminary sketched prior to starting, so I had an idea of where I was going with it.  Let me say it is turning out so much better than I had envisioned.  Love it when that happens.


I envisioned all of the hexies surrounded by a white back ground with my hand pieced hexie flowers dispersed randomly throughout.  Slowly over the course of the past two weeks, amid my other mommy jobs I have been piecing it together.  I cut out white hexagons 2 inches larger than the Honey comb templet.  I then hand appliquéd the 6 hexie-flowers I planned on using for the quilt.  I bordered each Honey comb with 1 inch strip of the same white fabric.  Then slowly pinned and sewed each set in seam together.  Time consuming yes.  But totally worth it!



I am now down to deciding on the last 2 borders, and then sewing the back together.  I cannot wait to get this onto my Long-arm.  Flower designs here I come!

No comments: