5.08.2013

Teacher Gifts Galore

I tried to catch up on my sleep last week.  I really did.  Sadly, I don't think it is possible.  I feel like sleep is all I want to do.  I lay down for a nap and POOF it is suddenly 3 hours later.  I am up with a start realizing that now I have to pick up Emma, Jack or Mark and my day is now 1/2 over.  Well, you can imagine that didn't last long.  Before long I realized that if Mama didn't go to the grocery, do laundry and vacuum soon I would be in jeopardy of loosing my Mother of the Year Award. heehee.  While I may have been able to pull all nighters 20 years ago in college (really? has it been that long?) I can no longer.  A pot of coffee, or three is no match for my lack of sleep.  I realized I had to dig deep and just push through the day, as painful as it may be.  By the end of the week I back to my "old"self.  Seriously ready for some crafting!

When we left for Disney I realized I had not gotten as much accomplished as I would have liked. The story of my life.  I still had yet to complete 2 teacher signs.  The teacher apron I so eagerly volunteer myself to sew was still a pile of fabric. Time to get down to business.

I set to work on 2 more teacher signs.  The first Emma decided needed to be for her English teacher.  She liked idea of having a large apple on the front.  Since I did not have a templet large enough for my 11X14 inch canvas I had to free hand the apple design.  Not to bad.  I was seriously worried it would look like a large green tomato. ( Nothing says "teacher" like fried green tomatoes. LOL.)


 Emma assured me it does indeed look like an apple.  I wanted to make the polk-a-dots yellow since the school colors are green and yellow, Emma had other ideas.  She did not really care for the green apple and fought hard for a red apple.  Worried the black would not show up as well on the red we compromised, with red dots.

The second teacher sign was for Jack and Emma's piano teacher.  Emma and I came up with several possible designs, all music themed.  In the end we chose this simple piano design, which proved to be anything but simple. Measuring and painting straight black lines that look straight even if they are not, is a lot harder than one would think.  The results were totally worth the effort.  I am still annoyed that the piano keys ended up askew but no one will notice. Right?


I finished out the week with the teacher apron.  Here is a picture of the apron after I finished.  


The next step is to have the kids trace their hand prints on the apron.  The apron is off to school with Emma tomorrow.  The class will use fabric markers to trace their hands and write their names.  I can't wait to see the finished product!  More pictures to follow.

No comments: