8.28.2012

Emma-isms

All children have cute little words they mix up when they are young. These are the things that baby books are made of.   My three had words such as, Choo-choo(train), boa-boa (boat), hooks (hooking the trailer up to the boat) and Bleck! (bleach).  These words are building blocks for language as well as communication. Many of the words I still use today when I am being particularly silly or if for any reason I need to thoroughly embarrass my children.  The kids abandon the use of these words as their muscle and brain development allowed them to begin the correct terminology.

I noticed recently that my 3rd child has developed her own words when the correct word escapes her.  I am not sure it isn't entirely my fault.  As the youngest, she has really never had to communicate well for what she wanted.  She has always had her 2 brothers, mom, dad, cousins, aunts, uncles etc. around to fill in the blank when she couldn't supply the word. I am also not entirely sure that it isn't intentional on her part.  A method employed to get attention, perhaps?  Regardless, I started to take note of her "Emma-isms" and I wanted to share a few of her originals.

Smarticle-Particles--(noun) brain particles that are "smarter" than other brain particles. (some people do not have these)

Non-smarticle-- (adjetive) not capable of intelligent action.  A nice way to say they are not smart.

Pacificly--(adjetive) specific, clearly defined.

Atlanticly-- (adjetive)The opposite of specific, vague, unable to make clear concise statements.

Saxabuddies-- (noun) two individuals, who are friends and whom both play the saxophone.

Philosophizing--(verb)While this is an actual word Emma applies it to the following-- the act of sit around (generally referring to Mark and Jack) talking and arguing and generally theorizing about things unimportant to her existence.

I'll admit all of this is a bit confusing at times.  I had to think clearly and pay close attention to derive the meaning of the words she was using.  Sadly, I know from past experience that this will not last.

No comments: