3.28.2011

Lazy Monday

It is a cold and rainy monday here.  Just the kind of day to lay on the couch and do nothing.  Emma stayed home with a head cold and that is just what she and Ginger are up to...Nothing.  Perfect remedy for getting better.


We spent the weekend in Charleston at a soccer tournament.  Even though Mark's team lost in sudden death, they all did a great job! I always hate it when the kids play hard for 90 minutes and the game ends with penalty kicks.  It always feels like cheating somehow.   Mark had 2 assists and a goal!  Go Mark!

All was not lost.   Mommy got to spend a few minutes at the Charleston quilt shop,  People, Places and Quilts.  My husband, of all people, suggested that I start visiting quilt shops when we are out of town.  Well, I certainly don't have to be told twice!  In between games I stopped over and picked up a few things.

 The first is this quilt book called a southern album by Kristin Steiner and Diane Wilson.  The book itself is beautifully illustrated with hand drawn script and pictures for each block.  Throughout the book there are stories and history that relate to each block.  The book also includes recipes and small projects.  


There are 15 blocks in this quilt all done on either a solid or tone on tone background.  The blocks are very scrappy, great for those of us who have a "small" stash.  The quilt on the People, Places and Quilts website is done in Civil War Reproductions.  This was my favorite find.  Not something you will see up "north"

The store has a large selection of reproduction patterns, so I picked up a couple of fat quarters just to sample.  (My husband said, "I only told you to visit the store.  Not to buy anything."  Silly man.)

I think this will be a great project to break down into a block of the month.  I am going to start this once I get all 12 months of the year done for my wreath project.  .  Since many of the blocks are applique or have applique in them I think is best to spread the entire quilt over 18 months.  I am really excited about making this piece of southern charm.


Anyone who is interested in joining me let me know.  You can purchase the book at there website, click the link above and go to Charleston Quilts drawer on the lefthand side.

No comments: