8.26.2013

School is back in session

With fall quickly approaching, the first week of school under our belts, I decided to buckle down and work on finishing up my craftsy class.  I first mentioned the craftsy class by Angela Walters,  Machine Quilting Negitive Space all the way back in February of this year! (really?)

 I had whipped up this L-O-V-E quilt with a large area of negative space to give me some room to practice my quilting designs. I loaded the quilt up on my long-arm machine and then... nothin'.  Seriously, it sat all summer on the machine, looking sad and pathetic.  Well, NO more!  Last week I buckled down and got to work.

Amazing what you can get accomplished with everyone out of the house. I worked and worked and worked an entire day.  I was a woman on fire!

I worked on the progression of a design from Large to small and back to Large.  Having the dense quilting around the blocks in the center helps the blocks stand out.  The white thread helps the background remain in the background with out detracting from the blocks.

I hand traced 4 heart shapes in the background of the quilt.  The only difference?  I used a different quilting design to make the hearts stand out on their own.  The hearts stood out better when there was a larger difference in the size of the quilting motif around the heart.  Something I will have to keep in mind next time.

The binding is on and ready to be hand stitched in place.  Can't wait to show you the finished product.  Happy quilting.

2 comments:

Angela Walters said...

Oh, I am so glad you quilted this, it is stunning with all of that negative space filled in!! I especially love the idea of the hearts filled with a different pattern. "LOVE" it!!!

Unknown said...

Thank You! Your compliments are humbling. (and greatly appreciated.)