4.03.2012

Another Curves Project

Look at me!  I am just cruising right along. Less than one month after the curves class, only 5 days less than one month, I am finishing up another project.  This was one I was psyched to get started on!  This is the Slices Mat from Stitched in Color.  I love it when quilts can be used as things other than bed coverings.  This mat is just slightly larger than 20 X 30,  the perfect size for Kitchen or Bath.  Mine will have a permanent place in my kitchen, at least for now.

I used the rest of this beautiful fabric that I had left over from my Laundry Bag project.  I wanted the large print pattern to be, some what continuous, so I cut out my fabric length wise instead of across the width.  Even with the seams I didn't loose too much of the pattern.  I added the teal, turquoise sold for the leaf shapes.  Both Kona, though I don't know the exact shades.  Sorry. The border fabric is a stripe I acquired somewhere along the way, but it matches so nicely.  The Olive Green backing again, Kona.

Only the middle leaf gave me trouble.  Don't look to closely. Okay?  I think I pulled just a tad to hard and stretched my fabric beyond its normal limits.  I trimmed it up nicely, but then, sadly my points refused to match.  Sigh.

I quilted this with basic straight lines on my home sewing machine.  Somehow I got it in my head that this would be quicker than quilting it on my long-arm machine.  Unfortunately, it was not. I used the wrap around binding.  I have only used this method once before, with a hand quilted piece.

I couldn't be more pleased with how well this turned out.  I really love this cures class and I am learning lots.  Not only that but that projects are beautiful and the directions are well written.  Stitched in color will be offering the Curves Class again sometime within the next year.  I highly recommend it!  Seasoned Quilter or Beginner, you can learn a less painful way to put curves into your projects.  Here is the link if you would like an email update for the new class time and date.  Happy Piecing.

No comments: