1.08.2011

January Wreath (Almost)

I new in November what I wanted  to do for the January wreath. It is now January 8th and the wreath is still sitting on my work table waiting to be finished. Now that the tree is down and the kids are back at school I may actually have it up by February.  I still have some quilting to add and the binding before I can hang it outside.

Something about January always makes me think of Snow. Doesn't it just scream SNOW DAY!  Living in the South now after growing up in the North, snow is the one thing about winter we don't see, much.  Not that I am complaining but, my kids do.  Apart from seeing family and friends we have not seen in months, snow is their favorite reason for driving north.  I'll admit appliqueing snowflakes onto this mini-quilt while my kids played outside in 55 degree temperatures, without jackets, was a bit weird, but I got over it.  (No snow pants, boots, hats, mittens, scarves or wet slush covering my floor.  OH YEAH.  I am so over it.)

This block is actually a combination of two patterns.  The first is the Snow Flake Wall Hanging from Allpeoplequilt.com.  The second is from Quiltmaker Nov/Dec '08 called Hats & Mittens.  And yes the hat and mitten are paper pieced.  I really am very pleased at how well the two went together.  They have been calling out to me to make them into a pillow, so far I've done a really good job of ignoring them.

No comments: