11.19.2009

Fear

It's funny how life works out. Mark and I have been struggling along through Pre-Algebra this year. It is a constant battle between us. Even Jack and Emma clear out when we start in on Math. jack has been known to state, "Come on Emma. Let's go they are getting ready to have a fight." What makes the math battle just a little bit more difficult is Mark's firm belief that "MOM is Wrong, Always!" Which can make my job explaining why his answer is wrong a bit difficult. It is not that Mark is terrible at math, on the contrary. Math is just the one subject in which he actually has to study. I am constantly trying to pump up his self-esteem in this area. I work with him prior to each test stating affirmations and positive thoughts. I was reading a book last night after we had stayed up late studying when this quote jumped off the page at me.

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." --Eleanor Roosevelt

This struck me as a quote I should share with Mark before his test. Then it dawned on me. This is not only applicable to Mark. It applies to me as well. I am the one who is currently afraid. I am the one who cannot bring herself to quilt for fear of the unknown. I needed to face my own fears and just jump in. So today I did.

No comments: