9.08.2011

In Memory


Jean Loraine Grandin Huber
1917-2011

This weekend my maternal grandmother passed away 4 days before her 92 birthday.  This picture take years ago, was the only proper picture I felt grandma would approve.  Grandma was very proper.  She held fast to traditional of etiquette that today have fallen by the wayside.  She is the reason I still write and mail, not email, thank you notes.  She always used a napkin, knew which side of the plate the wine glass went on, always matched her purse with her shoes and never, ever wore white after labor day.  She always had a smile and a hug for me.  For years she mailed me Cathy Comics from her weekly paper, just because I'd asked.   I never heard her speak poorly of another.  She was not one to enter into conflict, in fact I think she avoided it at all costs. She raised 5 kids, took care of her husband and her mother for years.    She may not have been the best cook but the one thing I could count on at grandma's was that she would have Chocolate!  She was loved and adored by her family and friends.  She will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your grandma, she sounds like she taught you lots of etiquette and would have been such a wonderful grandma for a girl to have.

(Writing thank you letters is such a lost art, isn't it? )

Julianne Crane said...

Wonderful tribute to your grandmother, my sweet aunt. Now that you mentioned it, I never did see her in while after Labor Day. And she always sent birthday cards. She was dearly loved and our world is a little less without her.